Senior Management Team
Steven C. Rothberg
C. Peter Lindeback
James S. J. Wang
William B. Burns
Louis F. L. Ko
Gabriel M. Serra
Partner - Almost 45 years of experience in transportation network design, ocean shipping market analyses, rail service optimization, port infrastructure development, port operations and productivity assessments and strategic planning.
Mr. Gimpel has led or participated in a wide range of port planning, port development and port productivity projects on a global basis for port authorities, terminal operators, ocean carriers, railroads, intermodal marketing companies, developers and beneficial cargo owners. He has completed numerous assignments in Asia, Europe, Latin America and the United States and has been at the forefront of terminal privatization transactions as well as intermodal development.
Mr. Gimpel received a bachelor’s degree from the State University of New York Maritime College (Fort Schuyler) and has also completed the Strategic Marketing Management course at Harvard University. His professional history prior to founding Mercator includes:
• Vice President/Market Sector Leader, Transystems Corporations
• Founder and Managing Director, Axiom Consulting
• Senior Vice President International Business Development, Stevedoring Services of America
• Chief Executive Officer, Port of Oakland, California
• Senior Vice President of Marketing, American President Lines (APL)
• President/COO, APL
• Senior Vice President/General Manager Asia, APL
• Vice President Marketing, APL
• Vice President Operations, Seatrain Lines
• Officer U.S. Merchant Marine
Partner - Almost 40 years of experience in transportation network design, ocean shipping economics, cargo market analyses, port infrastructure development, asset valuations and strategic planning.
Mr. Rothberg has led or participated in numerous port planning projects on six continents for port authorities, terminal operators, ocean carriers and financial institutions. He has designed and managed transportation networks and services as well as asset sharing agreements for multiple international shipping lines and railroads. He has also developed strategic business plans for an array of transport service providers and infrastructure operators. Mr. Rothberg received a bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering from Cornell University and a master’s degree in transportation engineering from MIT. His employment history prior to founding Mercator International includes the following positions:
• Senior Vice President and Managing Director, Macquarie Capital Funds
• Founder and Managing Director, Mercator Transport Group
• Vice President and General Manager for Southeast Asia/Australia, Sea-Land Service
• Vice President of Strategic Planning and Business Development, Sea-Land Service
• Vice President of Pacific Finance, Sea-Land Service
• Director of Corporate Planning, United Airlines
• Director of Pacific Marketing, United States Lines
• Manager of Operations Planning, Southern Pacific Railroad
Partner - Almost 35 years of experience in container shipping, liner network operations, port planning, and international logistics.
Mr. Kjaedegaard has planned, implemented, and managed ocean transport services, asset sharing agreements, logistics operations, and marine terminal projects around the world. He directed the largest containership service network in the world, and planned the startup of a new terminal operating company. Mr. Kjaedegaard received a bachelor’s degree in business management from Denmark’s Commercial College and completed the Advanced Management Program at the Harvard Business School. He recently served as the President of the UK Chamber of Shipping. He also has wide Boardroom experience with both listed companies (FTSE 250) and private equity firms. His professional history prior to founding Mercator includes:
• Chief Executive Officer, The Maersk Company UK Limited
• Regional CEO, West and South Asia, A.P. Moller Group
• SVP and Head of Maersk Line, A.P. Moller Group
• VP and Head of Business Development, Maersk Line
• VP and Head of Asia-Pacific Division, Maersk Line
• Director of Far East, Europe Trade, Maersk Line
• Country Manager, Belgium, A.P. Moller Group
• Country Manager, Philippines, A.P. Moller Group
• Operations Manager, Arabian Gulf, Maersk Line
Partner - About 35 years of experience in ocean shipping economics/yield management, supply chain management, pricing, refrigerated cargo logistics and cargo market analyses.
Mr. Gray has led or participated in many commercial due diligence, facility assessments, terminal market appraisals, feasibility studies, market analysis and forecasting projects on a global basis. He has delivered projects for port authorities, financial institutions, shipping lines, freight forwarders, beneficial cargo owners, railroads, developers and terminal operators. Mr. Gray received his bachelor’s degree in Marketing from the University of Connecticut. His employment history prior to founding Mercator International includes the following positions:
• Vice President Global Ports Group, Macquarie Capital Funds
• Founding Partner and Principal, Mercator Transport Group
• Direct Yield Revenue Management, Sea-Land Services
• Director Ocean Services, Danzas USA
• Director Refrigerated Logistics, Australia New Zealand Direct Line
• Marketing and pricing positions with Hapag Lloyd, U.S. Lines and ACT Pace Lines
Partner – Almost 35 years of experience in transportation network design, ocean shipping economics, port infrastructure planning, investment analysis and port operations analysis.
Mr. Leonard has led or participated in port acquisitions and then managed and developed the acquired assets. He has designed and managed transportation networks, led asset acquisition and disposition studies and is an expert in financial analysis, operations modeling and the creation of other analytical tools used in major projects across the globe. He gained general management experience during his overseas tour in Brazil. Mr. Leonard has a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from the University of California at Berkeley as well as graduate degrees in management and engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Prior to founding Mercator his employment history includes the following positions:
• Vice President and Port Sector Specialist, Macquarie Capital Funds
• Founding Partner, Mercator Transport Group
• Director of Network Planning, Sea-Land Service
• Director of Development, Brazil, Sea-Land Service
• Manager of Operations Planning, Sea-Land Service
• Manager of Naval Architecture, American President Lines
Senior Associate - Based in Seattle, with almost 20 years of experience in marine terminal operations and financial analysis
Mr. Lindeback has evaluated, planned, executed, and managed marine terminal operations and investments across North America and has particular expertise in break-bulk, RO-RO, container, and general cargo operations. This includes managing terminal and stevedoring operations in multiple Gulf Coast and South Atlantic ports. As an asset manager, he served as a member of the the global ports industry team and managed three separate marine terminal investments. Mr. Lindeback received a bachelor’s degree in government from Georgetown University and an MBA in finance from New York University. His employment history prior to consulting for Mercator includes the following assignments:
• Chief Operating Officer, The Jackson Kearney Group
• Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Coastal Maritime Stevedoring
• Asset Manager, Macquarie Capital Fund
Senior Analyst – Based in Seattle, with about 15 years of experience in transportation economics, international trade dynamics, energy logistics, and public sector cost/benefit analysis.
Mr. Andreoli has conducted numerous economic and international trade forecasts focused primarily on South American and Asia for private and public sector clients. In addition, he has conducted economic impact studies on freight transportation networks, cargo flows, and transport infrastructure for regional and state governments and he has developed and applied geographic information systems to support these projects. Prior to joining Mercator, he served as a researcher and lead instructor in economic geography, regional economic development, and geographic information systems at the University of Washington. Mr. Andreoli writes a monthly column for Logistics Management magazine that focuses on oil and fuel markets and regularly gives keynote presentations on these subjects at logistics conferences. He received a bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Economic Geography from the University of Washington, as well as a Graduate Certificate in Global Trade and Transportation from that same institution. His doctoral research explores the interaction between oil prices, the economy, and structural and geographic changes in supply chain structure. He has published his research in peer reviewed academic journals. His employment history prior to consulting for Mercator includes the following assignments:
• Faculty affiliate, Harvard Business School, microeconmics of competitiveness
• Spearheaded 16 funded research projects
• Presented at 19 lectures and conferences
• Published in 11 publications
• Lead instructor and teaching assistant at the University of Washington
Principal Associate - About 25 years of experience in container shipping, supply chain consulting and logistics infrastructure development.
Mr. Wang has evaluated, implemented, and managed logistics operations across Greater China and has also managed liner shipping services for a leading ocean carrier. He has developed and applied freight routing optimization models for multiple Asian exporters and evaluated numerous vessel network plans. Mr. Wang received a bachelor’s degree in marine engineering from Namkang University in Taiwan, as well as a master’s degree in transportation engineering from National Chiao Tung University, also in Taiwan. He sailed in the Taiwanese Merchant Marine and also earned a master’s degree in transportation systems from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His employment history prior to consulting for Mercator includes the following assignments:
• Director of Business Information Systems, American President Lines (APL)
• Director of Nanjing Branch Office, APL (China)
• Director of Business Development, APL (China)
• Senior Manager – Supply Chain Consulting, Accenture (Taiwan)
• Logistics Controller, APL (Taiwan)
• Business Planning Manager, Sea-Land Service
Partner, Dubai - Located in Dubai, Mr. Burns has almost 35 years of experience in sales, operations, logistics, consolidation, agency management, planning, general management, finance and administration. He has lived and worked in the Middle East, Asia and Europe.
Mr. Burns' background includes working directly for ocean carriers, port authorities and terminal operators. He has led or participated in projects such as developing port and free zone areas, evaluation of suitable port locations with landside capabilities, risk identification, mitigation, regulatory issues, construction of port tariffs, contract negotiations, creating growth strategies and identifying financial investors. His employment history prior to Mercator International includes:
• General Manager and Advisor, ETA/AI Ghurair Group
• Maritime Representative Europe, Middle East, Africa, South Asia, UK, Port Authority NY and NJ
• Director, Bill Burns Associates, Scotland
• Managing Director, Peel Ports, Hunterston Container Terminal
• Commercial Director, Salalah Port Services, Oman
• Head of Operations, Sea-Land Service, AME Division
• Director, Operations Management Centre, Sea-Land Service, Switzerland
• Owners Representative and Chief Liaison Officer, Sea-Land Service, India
• Country Manager, Bangladesh, Sea-Land Service
• Regional Manager, Sea-Land Service, Saudi Arabia
Senior Associate – Mr. Taylor has extensive experience in the Ports, Shipping and Freight sectors in operational and strategic roles spanning sales, strategy, commercial, marketing, operations and logistics. Over the past 5 years this experience has been applied in assisting government agencies, associations and private enterprises to develop strategic initiatives and to complete investment opportunities with a focus on understanding the potential of the underlying assets.
Mr.Taylor spent 15 years in the shipping, logistics and ports arm of P&O through its transition to P&O Nedlloyd and eventually Maersk Line and Logistics. Following this time in industry Scot joined Macquarie Capital utilizing his industry experience to advise the Macquarie Capital Funds on principle investments in ports and terminals from Europe, North America and throughout Asia. In 2009 Scot started his own consultancy. providing strategic advice and industry expertise to governments, industry associations, funds, investment banks and private sector clients in relation to the ports, maritime and freight sectors. His educational background BCom with a focus on Economis and Finance; Macuquarie Graduate School of Management, University of NSW. Prior to consulting for Mercator International, Mr. Taylor held the following positions:
• General Manager, AP Moeller - Maersk Group
• General Manager, Oceania Region,P and O Nedlloyd Oceania
• Trade Support and Development Director, P and O Nedlloyd UK
• Trade Manager Southbound - Australia South East Asian Trade, Australia Straits, Australia Straits Container Line
• Trade Executive Trans Tasman Trade, P and O Containers
• National Sales, Business Analysis, P andO Containers
Senior Associate - Almost 40 years of experience in container and break-bulk shipping, marine terminal development, freight forwarding and shipbrokering.
Mr. Ko has developed and managed several bulk and break-bulk terminal facilities across Asia. He has designed and implemented ocean shipping services for various Asian steel producers and mining companies and has also managed ship chartering, container shipping, and freight forwarding operations throughout the Far East. He received a certificate of Transport Studies from Hong Kong Polytechnic University and a Master of Arts in Arbitration from the City University of Hong Kong’s Law School. Mr. Ko has served as the Vice-Chairman of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (Hong Kong) and represents Mercator International in China and Southeast Asia. He is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese. His employment history prior to consulting for Mercator includes the following assignments:
• President, PT Cigading International Bulk Terminal
• Vice President of Business Development, Dispatch Logistics (PRC) Limited
• Vice President of Business Development, Pacific Ports Ltd.
• General Manager of Nanjing Pacific Bulk Terminal
• General Manager of Asia Operations, Stena Metals Inc.
• Director of Asia Chartering Operations, Metallgesellchaft AG
• Regional Sales Manager (HKG), Scanwell Air Freight Co.
• Regional Documentation Manager (Asia), American President Lines (APL)
• Manager of Asia Traffic Services, Sea-Land Service
Senior Associate – Close to 45 years of experience in strategic planning, market research and analysis, new product development, business process analysis, operations management and engineering in the transportation industry.
Mr. Opet helped design the first guaranteed, day definite, less than trailer load service product. He has a bachelor’s degree from the United States Merchant Marine Academy and a master’s degree in business administration from the University of California at Berkeley. Jack has also completed the Supply Chain Management executive program at Stanford University. His employment history prior to consulting for Mercator International includes the following positions:
• Director Marketing, American President Lines (APL)
• Director Global Accounts, APL
• Director of Pricing, APL
• V.P. Traffic Services, Orient Overseas Container Lines (OOCL)
• Director Intermodal, Seatrain Lines
• Port Manager, Seatrain Lines
• General Manager Operations, Seatrain Lines
• Marine Engineer
Senior Associate – Almost 45 years of experience in transportation related positions covering distribution, supply chain, sales, marketing, freight forwarding, logistics and financial advisory roles.
His diverse experience in the acquisition and disposal of assets makes him a unique asset who can focus on M&A activity for the firm. Mr. Edwards has a bachelor’s degree from the University of California at Davis and a master’s in business administration from the University of Oregon. Some of Mr. Edwards’ key positions include the following:
• Senior Advisor, Meridian Capital
• COO, Broe Companies
• CEO, World Point Logistics
• CEO, Danzas Corporation
• CEO, Itel Transportation Services Group
• Senior Vice President Marketing, American President Lines (APL)
• Senior Vice President Marketing and Sales, Southern Pacific Transportation Company
Senior Associate, Rail Transportation – Close to 50 years of experience in transportation, rail operations, rail network design, port terminal rail infrastructure development, warehousing and intermodal equipment maintenance and repair.
Mr. Baumhefner has designed, implemented and managed rail services and terminals across North America and participated in the development and implementation of efficient on-dock rail terminals in port infrastructures. He managed the nation’s largest intermodal rail network and developed efficient processes for the maintenance and repair of intermodal equipment. Mr. Baumhefner has a bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts. His employment history prior to consulting for Mercator includes the following assignments:
• Executive Vice President, Pacer Stacktrain
• Assistant Vice President, Pacer Stacktrain
• CEO, World Point Logistics
• Director, Stacktrain Operations, American President Lines (APL)
• Director, Transportation Purchasing and Operations, APL
• Director, Marketing and Sales, APL
• Director, Line Operations
• Assistant Superintendent, Los Angeles Division, Southern Pacific Railroad
Senior Consultant - More than 30 years of experience in ocean shipping
Mr. Serra is a shipping executive with broad, local experience in Central and South America and the Caribbean. A native of Argentina, Mr. Serra is fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese. For the past 30 years he has become an expert of Latin America shipping and transportation markets and has created strategies to effectively serve those markets. Mr. Serra studied at Instituto Peralta Ramos and Escuela Pascuala Mugaburu. His employment history prior to consulting for Mercator includes the following assignments:
• President, S.O.S. Logistics
• Senior Vice President and General Manager, Puerto Rico Divisions,
CSX Lines / Horizon Lines
• General Manager East Coast South America, Sea-Land Service
• General Manager South Central America, Sea-Land Service
• General Manager Honduras and Nicaragua, Sea-Land Service
• Pricing Manager, Sea-Barge, Inc.
• Vice President, Marketing and Pricing, Concord Shipping
• Line Manager and Pricing Manager, Tilston Roberts Steamship Agency